Friday, April 3, 2009

Words of Mary

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen wrote a wonderful book that you might find interesting, Seven Words of Jesus and Mary: Lessons on Cana and Calvary. These are the words of Mary presented by the Evangelists St. Luke and St. John.

The Seven Words of Mary in Scripture

1. But Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no relations with a man?" (Luke 1:34)




2. Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord." (Luke 1:38)



3. [Mary said:] "May it be to me according to your word." Then the angel departed from her. (Luke 1:38)





4. And Mary said:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour.
For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness;
behold,  from now on will all ages call me blessed.
The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
His mercy is from age to age, to those who fear him.
He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart.
He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones, but lifted up the lowly.
The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy,
according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendents forever. (Luke 1:46-55)

5. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety." (Lk 2:48)

6. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine." (John 2:3)

7. His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you". (John 2:5)