Tuesday, March 10, 2009

St. Patrick and a Novena

The Saint's Day is next week. I had meant to post this earlier, and I actually thought I did, but better late than not at all. The language is dated but the sentiment and fervor is real.



Novena to St. PatrickSay once a day for 9 days, especially beginning on 8 March and ending on 16 March, the eve of the Feast of St. Patrick.

Blessed Saint Patrick, glorious Apostle of Ireland, who became a friend and father to me for ages before my birth, hear my prayer and accept, for God, the sentiments of gratitude and veneration with which my heart is filled. Through you I have inherited that faith which is dearer than life. I now make you the representative of my thanks and the mediator of my homage to Almighty God. Most Holy Father and patron of Ireland despise not my weakness; remember that the cries of little children were the sounds that rose, like a mysterious voice from heaven, and invited you to come to Ireland. Listen, then, to my humble supplication; may my prayer ascend to the throne of Almighty God, with the praises and blessings which shall ever sanctify your name and your memory. May my hope be animated by the patronage and intercession of our forefathers, who now enjoy eternal bliss and owe their salvation, under God to your courage and charity. Obtain for me the grace to love God with my whole heart, to serve him with my whole strength, and to persevere in good purposes to the end, O faithful shepherd, who would have laid down a thousand lives to save one soul, take my soul, and the souls of all men and women, under your special care. Be a father to the Church and her faithful people. Grant that all hearts may share the blessed fruits of the Gospel you planted and watered in Ireland. Grant that, as our ancestors of old had learned, under your guidance, to unite science with virtue, we too, may learn, under your patronage, to consecrate all Christian duty to the glory of God. I commend to you the land of Erin, which was so dear to you while on earth. Protect the United States as well, and, above all, guide and direct the bishops of our nation as they teach us. Give them grace to walk in your footsteps, to nurture the flock with the Word of Life and the Bread of Salvation, and to lead the heirs of the Saints you formed to the possession of that glory which they, with you, enjoy in the Kingdom of Heaven, through Christ Jesus, our Lord. Amen.

V. Pray for us, O glorious saint Patrick.
R. And obtain for us the intention of this Novena.


Bookmark and Share